In 2009, Local Matters, a Central Ohio not-for-profit organization, launched Local Foods Week to promote the local food movement and aid in the transformation of Central Ohio’s food system. The event is now in its fourth year and will run from August 11 – 19. A number of activities are planned for the week, including several at Whole Foods Market Columbus-Dublin:
- Saturday, August 11 (12:00 – 1:00 p.m.) - Local Tour and Dishin’ It Tasting Join Whole Foods Market’s Local Purveyor on a store tour that focuses on Ohio-based goods and what it means to be local at Whole Foods.
- Sunday, August 12 (12:00 – 2:00 p.m.) – All-Local Giving Grill Whole Foods will be serving fresh Ohio food (sweet corn, grass-fed burgers, Luna burgers, potato chips and treats) and proceeds will be donated to Local Matters.
- Monday, August 13 (6:00 – 8:00 p.m. – Local Brews and Bands Sample some local beer and enjoy outdoor entertainment by Katty Whomp Us and I am Mute.
- Wednesday, August 15 (2:00 p.m.) – Local Tour and Tasting Missed Saturday’s event? Whole Foods will hold another local-themed store tour today.
- Friday, August 17 (5:00 p.m.) – 5 After 5 Wine Tasting: Local Libations Taste several favorite local wines paired with farm-fresh produce.
- Saturday, August 18 (11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.) – Shake the Hand that Feeds You Local farmers will be on-hand to discuss their products. Hear their stories and learn more about Ohio-based goods.
- Saturday, August 18 (12:00 – 2:00 p.m.) – Kids Klub: “So You Think You Can Farm” Kids will encounter some of their favorite farm animals while meeting young, local farmers.
- Sunday, August 19 (5:00 – 8:00 p.m.) - Whole Foods Family Dinner Michael Jones, Executive Director of Local Matters will prepare a customized family-style dinner on the Whole Foods patio.
For more information and activities taking place during Local Foods Week 2012, visit Local Matters’ website: http://local-matters.org/local-foods-week.
~ Post by Dawn