Forget about Black Friday; I’m calling this Saturday and Sunday “Green Weekend,” because of Dublin’s many seasonal events and selection of unique holiday gifts.
The annual Chili Cook-off is today in Historic Dublin from noon to 4 p.m. For $5, you can sample nine Dublin residents’ recipes at La Chatelaine, J. Liu, and the Dublin Village Tavern. Vote for your favorite, and the top three will compete in the finals, 4:15 at La Chatelaine.
From 10 to 3, all three Dublin high schools are coming together at Sisters Sweet Shoppe (also in Historic Dublin) to auction off homemade gingerbread houses. The proceeds benefit the Ohio State School for the Blind’s Marching Band, which is performing in the Rose Bowl parade on New Year’s Day. It’s a great opportunity to celebrate the season in Dublin.
As for holiday shopping, check out these locally owned stores!
The Shoppes at River Ridge:
- Bliss Classic handbags, jewelry, greeting cards, home decor, and more. My favorite things: Spartina 449 handbags (a line started by my aunt and uncle!) and Grandmother's Buttons jewelry.
- Audacious Trendy purses, scarves, watches, and jewelry. My favorite things: Miche bags, which have interchangeable covers for any occasion; OSU rhinestone beads; the selection of sparkly rings. (I just can’t resist sparkle!)
- Ha'penny Bridge Imports of Ireland Irish gifts of all kind: clothes, pottery, jewelry, decor, even kilts! My favorite things: Celtic crosses, Irish nativity scenes, Belleek pottery. (This is one of the only places outside Ireland you can find it!)
- Create Children’s apparel and unique gifts, personally chosen by mother-daughter owners. My favorite things: Adorable sweaters (some of these make me wish I was still a little girl), uniquely adorned stockings and ornaments.
- Thalia & Dahlia Fine gifts and home appointments, from china pieces to handcrafted wreaths. New to Historic Dublin! My favorite things: Pretty picture frames, holiday serving dishes, handcrafted wreaths and other floral arrangements (made by Chris, one of the owners).
- Sisters Sweet Shoppe Sweets for all ages: gourmet truffles, candied nuts, peanut brittle, and the sisters’ signature homemade fruitcakes. My favorite things: New chocolate-dipped fruitcakes and their stocking stuffers, which are the perfect gift for anyone who loves chocolate. (But let’s be honest, practically everything in there could be considered my favorite.)
- post by Kelly