In honor of National Ice Cream month, we took our staff meeting to the local Jeni’s Ice Cream. To be honest, it was more about finding a cooler location to meet since our A/C was down--but it was a good excuse for us to savor some new flavors!
There is something about eating ice cream that makes you feel like a happy kid again. According to one study by scientists at the Institute of Psychiatry in London, one taste of the frozen sweet treat sends a brain into its happy zone. Nothing like a good brain freeze, huh?
If you’re among those who savor the sweet stuff, you have Ronald Reagan to thank for naming July National Ice Cream month (and the third Sunday in July “National Ice Cream Day”) in 1984. You can go HERE to read the actual proclamation that states that “ice cream is a nutritious and wholesome food that is enjoyed by over ninety percent of the people in the United States.”
Is your mouth is watering for ice cream about now? Good. We rolled up our sleeves, dug into the trenches and did our due diligence to sniff (and taste) the best ice cream flavors in and around Dublin, Ohio. It was tough work, but someone had to do it. Here are a few notables:
• Graeters. Savor Graeter’s seasonal favs like peach, watermelon sorbet and coconut and you’ll understand why the French Pot process makes all the difference. Pay just $1.41/scoop on 7.17.11 when Graeter’s celebrates its 141st birthday. Plus, it’s the kick off of their SweetStakes where one lucky person will win a year’s worth of ice cream!
• Menchies. If frozen yogurt is more your thing, Menchie’s offers a do-it-yourself smorgasbord of flavors and combinations. Try the new Chocochella--a combo of two Italian favorites, creamy hazelnut and decadent chocolate. Yummissimo.
• MJs Candy Bar. Surprised to learn that the #1 candy store in Columbus serves ice cream? It all makes sense when you discover that it’s Hershey’s Premium Ice Cream that goes into MJs specialty milkshakes like Buckeye Blast, Shirley Temple and Shamrock Chip.
• Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams. We love our Jeni’s in Central Ohio … but she keeps surprising us with her out-of-the-box creations made using local ingredients. Recent favs: Backyard Mint, Peach Buttermilk, Coriander Raspberry and Askinosie Dark Milk Chocolate.
• TehKu Tea Company. Dublinites love this local oasis for its ambiance and selection of nearly 200 teas, including a signature green called “Matcha.” Now you can get your green tea health benefits in the form of ice cream with TehKu’s own Matcha Ice Cream, as well as the new Chai flavor. (Available 7.22.11)
~Post by Mary