This Saturday (March 12) is not quite St. Patrick's Day ... but here in Dublin, Ohio, we simply can't wait to celebrate. And this year, we have an additional reason to drum up some extra hoopla: U.S. News Travel and Special Report has named DUBLIN, OHIO's St. Patrick’s Day parade one of the BEST in America! Come join us for an all Irish Day in Dublin, Ohio.
- Come to town on Friday night and stay in one of our 14 hotels. Compete in the Best Legs in a Kilt contest at 6 p.m. Friday at the Dublin Village Tavern, 27 S. High St. The contest is sponsored/hosted by Ha’penny Bridge Imports of Ireland and the Dublin Village Tavern. Registration is $10 and you can even rent a kilt for an additional $5 (while supplies last). In addition to great legs, participants will be judged on strut, confidence and the sway of the kilt. Not only will the winner get the bragging rights, but a gift certificate to the Dublin Village Tavern. All contestants receive a prize. To register, call 614/889-9615.
- Start the day early on Saturday (March 12) with a longtime Dublin tradition: the Lions Club Pancake Breakfast. Fill up on pancakes and other breakfast treats before you head out and watch the parade. Win a variety of prizes during the ongoing raffle. (Sells Middle School, 150 West Bridge St. 7 a.m. - 12 noon
- Prior to the parade, join St. Patrick himself at the Dublin Library (75 N. High St.) for family story time. From 10-11 a.m. you can hear St. Patrick tell stories about himself.
- Dublin, Ohio celebrates its Irish heritage with a mile-long parade of floats, bands and bagpipers, not to mention the Grand Leprechaun. The city-sponsored parade steps off at 11 a.m. from Metro Place North and heads into Historic Dublin. (Don't forget to wear your green!)
- After the parade, march down the street to The Brazenhead. The traditional Irish pub (with the bar being imported straight from Ireland) offers great food, Irish music and dancing. Starting at 12 noon, patrons can tap their toes to live music by KC Kurtwood , Celtic Crossing (at 4 p.m.) and Contagious (at 8 p.m.) In addition, there will be two performances by The Capital City Pipes and Drums Band and the Richen Timm World Championship Irish Dancers. Enjoy traditional Irish food specials and plenty of free giveaways all day!
Stroll the streets of Historic Dublin and shop, taking advantage of special St. Patrick discounts or give away treats.
- Sister Sweet Shoppe will be open during the parade with lots of samples and treats. Buy a few of their famous shamrock sugar cookies with green butter cream frosting, and some shamrock-shaped chocolates.
- Ha'penny Bridge Imports of Ireland will have a Lucky Coin Drawing. Win discounts of 10, 12 or 17 percent or enter to win a eight day trip for two to Ireland. The owners just returned from Ireland with plenty o' new products!
- TehKu Tea Company (55 S. High St.) will feature live music during the day, as well as Irish themed teas and treats.
- OurCupcakery (16 N. High St.) will be holding a raffle for FREE admission to their Future Pastry Chef Summer Camp. For every "sweet" item purchased you will receive a raffle ticket. At the end of the day a winner will be drawn.
For more information about the Dublin, Ohio March 12, 2011 St. Patrick's Day parade, visit the City of Dublin's website. For additional information about staying and playing in Dublin, visit the Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau website (www.IrishisanAttitude.com) or call 800/245-8387.