Can’t get enough Irish Attitude? If you wish the Dublin Irish Festival (August 5, 6 & 7) lasted all year long, take the opportunity to enhance your experience with the Irish Academy. In its 8th year, the Academy will play host to a wide variety of classes that highlight Irish music and culture. A brief description of the classes can be found below, with more details on the website.
- Beginning Bodhran: Learn this classical Irish instrument from a true Irishman and internationally known instrument maker. Bodhrans will be provided or available for purchase. Instructor: Michael Vignoles. Cost: $50.
- Tin Whistle (Beginner Level): Who better to take lessons from than a multi-winner of the Irish Music Competitions in the United States? Instructor: Brian McCoy. Cost: $50.
- Storytelling: Help preserve an old tradition from someone who experienced the seanachie (Storyteller) tradition firsthand when he lived with his grandfather in the Hills of County Kerry (Ireland). Instructor: Batt Burns. Cost: $50.
- Bodhran, The Melody and Us (Intermediate/Advanced Level): Learn the master exponent of a subtle and sympathetic emphasis to bodhrán accompaniment from an original member of Téada. Instructor: Tristan Rosenstock. Cost: $60.
- Flute (Intermediate/ Advanced Level): This founding member of the band Dervish and Irish music maven from a very young age is sure to teach all you need to know about one of the cores of Irish music. Instructor: Liam Kelly. Cost: $60.
- Singing Workshop in English and Gaelic: A class with one of the most popular Irish traditional musicians and son of one of the most musically acclaimed Irish families is sure to be a surprising treat! Instructor: Séamus Begley. Cost: $60.
- Stylistic Features of Irish Fiddling (Intermediate/Advanced Level): An exploration of some of the techniques and traits associated with Irish fiddling, demonstrated with the aid of archival recordings taught by founder of noted group Téada. Instructor: Oisín Mac Diarmada. Cost: $60.
- Fiddle (Intermediate/Advanced Level): A fantastic class from an Irish-American and National Heritage Fellowship Award-winning fiddler is sure to make you want to dance! Instructor: Liz Carroll. Cost: $60.
To register for classes, you will need to print off the registration form and mail it in with a check or your credit card information.
~ Post by Lexi